Sports Nutrition Guidebook
This encyclopedic sport nutrition book will change your running forever! Nancy Clark's Sport's Nutrition Guidebook covers every aspect of sports nutrition.
Loaded with practical tips, nutritional strategies, recipes and more.
Learn how to fuel your body for optimal performance and health.
- Run faster
- Run longer
- Feel better
- Be healthier
The Fourth Edition of Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook.
Over 5,000 copies sold!
Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook has become the all-time best selling sports nutrition guide. The Fourth Edition was published in April 2008.
New to the fourth edition:
American Heart Association’s new Dietary Guidelines
Body building issues
Body Mass Index
Carbohydrates during exercise
Celiac disease/gluten-free diets
Children, helpiing your overfat child lose weight
Chocolate as health food myth
Eating disorders: healing mantras and affirmations
Engineered sports foods - whole new chapter
Pre-competition eating for athletes who are "making weight"
Fast food, healthy suggestions
Fish, mercury in, and safe limits
Fluids, ACSM's new 2007 Position Stand on Fluids
Food Pyramid, new
Gender differences with weight reduction
Glycemic Index, new info
High Fructose Corn Syrup, liquid calories
Hyponatremia, information on how to prevent
Immune function, information about supplements
Intestinal problems, how to manage
Muscles, how to optimize muscular growth
Organic food information
Portion plates for weight loss
Protein, new information
Magnesium / muscle cramps
Menopause and managing midlife weight gain
Olive oil-anti-inflammatory benefits
Recipes for weight gain shakes
Recovery from exercise, information updated
Refueling aggressively after having made "weight"
Sleep, importance for weight reduction and control
Training with low glycogen stores, competing with high
Websites for additional information
Weight gainers, info on commercial products
Weight loss words of wisdom from clients
Whole grains to reduce risk of heart disease
Men: strategies for how to gain weight healthfully, protein recommendations, recovery ideas, quick and easy recipes
Women: how to lose weight and have energy to exercise; how to tame the cookie monster; the health dangers of amenorrhea and how to reverse the problem; how to help your friend who struggles with food, weight & disordered eating; menopause and midlife weight gain
Aging: eating plans that invest in good health and high energy; how to fuel well so you'll enjoy exercise for the rest of your life; how to recover faster from workouts.
You'll Learn How to...
navigate your way healthfully through grocery stores, restaurants, food courts, and even your own kitchen, with numerous food suggestions and sample meal plans. You'll find more than 70 recipes for healthful, tasty foods that are quick and easy to prepare.
- eat well on a day-to-day basis -- even when you are coping with a stressful lifestyle -- and get the maximum benefit from the foods you choose, with sample eating plans that show you how to fuel for specific workouts.
- eat well before games or tournaments and, just as important, refuel well afterward for optimal recovery.
- decipher current food, diet, and supplement options and understand which are best -- and why -- based on your individual energy needs.
- Overcome food and weight obsessions.
- lose undesired body fat while maintaining energy for exercise.
How Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook is Organized
PART I Day to Day Eating for Active People
- Building Your Balanced Diet
- Eating to Stay Healthy in the Long Run
- Breakfast: The Key to a Successful Sports Diet
- Lunch and Dinner: At Home and On the Run
- Snacks and Snack Attacks
- Carbohydrate to Fuel
- Protein to Build and Repair Muscles
- Fluids to Replace Sweat Losses
PART II The Science of Eating for Sports Success
- Fueling Before Exercise
- Refueling During and After Exercise
- Supplements and Commercial Sports Foods
- Age-Specific Nutritional Needs
PART III Balancing Weight and Activity
- Your Body: Fat, Fit, or Fine?
- Adding Bulk, Not Fat
- Losing Weight Without Starvation
- Dieting Gone Awry: Eating Disorders and Food Obsessions
PART IV Winning Recipes for Peak Performance
- Breads and Breakfasts
- Pasta, Rice, and Potatoes
- Vegetables and Salads
- Chicken and Turkey
- Fish and Seafood
- Beef and Pork
- Beans and Tofu
- Beverages and Smoothies
- Snacks and Desserts
Here's what readers say about Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook, Third Edition:
"Thank you for your informative book. I have followed your advice to the Tee and since have set personal records in every distance I have run. I recommend your book to everyone I know."
"Ever since I purchased your Sports Nutrition Guidebook,my family's meals have been great! My husband and three children have made so many of the recipes their favorites, and I love them too!"
"Nancy, with the help of your Sports Nutrition Guidebook, I have lost weight and am keeping it off. I have learned how to fuel myself without fear of getting fat. Thank you!"